This coconut panna cotta is dairy-free, full of vanilla bean flavor, and layered with light chocolate ganache, making it the perfect, creamy, silky dessert.
What is Panna Cotta? What is your perfect imagination of a pudding? Silky, light, creamy, and full of flavor. This Italian dessert is a moulded custard or pudding traditionally served with a sauce. This panna cotta’s sauce is a chocolate ganache you get to layer inbetween.
Panna Cotta: The Basics
What do I need to make panna cotta? When you make a traditional panna cotta, the ingredients are gelatin, milk/cream, sugar, and flavor. That’s it!
This dairy-free coconut panna cotta is a simple but elegant dessert that can be dressed up or toned down to match the occasion. Want to make it elegant? Top it with toasted coconut flakes, whipped cream, and chocolate. Want to keep it as simple as possible? Then just make the panna cotta, skip the ganache and just have plain coconut milk panna cotta.
Coconut Milk, Vanilla Bean Paste, Sugar, and Gelatin are the basic ingredients of this panna cotta recipe. Here is the simplest way to make panna cotta. In a small bowl combine the boiling water and the gelatin, let them bloom together until the gelatin becomes a thick paste. Combine the coconut milk, vanilla bean paste, and sugar in a bowl. Whisk the mixture until the sugar is disolved. Then, place the bowl of the milk mixture onto a pot of boiling water. Allow the mixture to warm up and pour the gelatin into the warm coconut milk. Stir the gelatin and the milk mixture together until completely disolved. Let the panna cotta sit on the counter while you make the ganache.
In a separate bowl, mix the coconut milk and the chocolate chips. Heat until melted and then stir until it is smooth and shiny. Spoon the ganache into the 6 mini dessert glasses. (2oz glasses.) Gently pour the panna cotta over the top and refrigerate for 2-3 hours until set. Garnish with toasted coconut and and chocolate shards if desired. Tada!! You did it! That’s it!
If you make this recipe don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @rosegoldandvanilla or #rosegoldandvanilla, or my Facebook page Rose Gold and Vanilla. Thanks!
Dairy-Free Coconut Panna Cotta
- 6 2oz Dessert Glasses (or shot glasses)
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 tbsp Boiling Water
- ¼ cup Dairy Free Chocolate Chips (Regular works too.)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Milk
- Combine the coconut milk, vanilla bean paste, and sugar in a metal or glass bowl. Whisk until the sugar is completely disolved.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the boiling water and the gelatin. Stir until it is thick and no lumps remain.
- Place the bowl of coconut milk over a pot of boiling water, stirring occasionally until warm. Add the gelatin mixture and stir until completely disolved.
- In another bowl, combine the chocolate chips and one tbsp of the coconut milk. Heat until the chocolate chips are slightly melted. Stir the ganache until smooth and silky.
- Spoon the ganache evenly into the six dessert glasses. (2oz glasses) Gently pour the panna cotta mixture on top.
- Place the panna cotta in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until set. Garnish with chocolate shards and toasted coconut if desired.
- The panna cotta is best enjoyed the day it is made but can keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.