This easy peach slab pie is simple, has a sweet, delicate crust, a light cream cheese filling and is full of perfectly ripe peaches. It is also topped with a tangy peach glaze.
You may be wondering what a slab pie is and that’s okay. It is simply a pie made in a 9×13 or a 1/2 sheet pan. So much easier. This easy peach slab pie skips all of the finicking with the pie crust. No crimping or rolling necessary.
Peach season is upon us. Unfortunately the window in which you can get good peaches is only a 6-7 weeks starting in the beginning of July and ending mid August.
Peach pie is a family favorite around here and I have a few family members that even ate this pie for breakfast yesterday. There is no judgement in my household, and besides peach pie is mostly fruit right?
Let’s Talk About the Pie Crust:
This pie crust is a classic sucree crust, meaning that it is very similar to a sugar cookie base. Although a flaky crust is good too, a sweet crust really balances out the flavor of the peach pie and helps reduce the amount of time that it takes to make the pie. A regular pie crust needs an ample amount of time in the refrigerator for the gluten structure to relax. A sucree crust only needs 10 minutes in the freezer before you plop it in the oven.
The Peachy Goodness
The peaches are the star of the show in this show stopping dessert. Not only are their ten to twelve peaches, there is also a delicious peach glaze.
The peach glaze is super easy and only has a few ingredients: Pureed peaches, lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar, and water. (I don’t even think water counts as a true ingredient.) Let it boil till it is traslucent and bubbly and there you go. The peach glaze keeps the pie fresh making it last a lot longer. It also helps the peaches not to dry out or become over ripe because it makes a seal between the air and the peaches.
Easy Peach Slab Pie
- 1 cup Butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup Sugar (207g)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 ¾ cup All Purpose Flour (500g)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 16 oz Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Pureed Peach
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Water
- 10-12 Peaches (peeled)
- In a small bowl cream together the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the flour until the dough is just combined.
- Spread the dough into a jelly-roll pan. Place the pan in the freezer for 10 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- While the crust is freezing, preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenhiet. Bake the crust for 10-14 minutes or until it is a light golden brown.
- Let the crust cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl combine the cream cheese and the powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese filling on the cooled crust.
- In a small sauce pan combine the pureed peaches, lemon juice, water, sugar, and cornstarch. Let the mixture come to a boil stirring constantly. Remove the glaze from the heat when it is translucent and bubbly. Let the glaze cool to room temperature.
- Peel and slice the peaches and layer onto the crust. Pour the glaze over the top of the peaches.
- Let the pie set in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- The pie will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- This recipe makes a typical half sheet pan. (a cookie sheet) but it can be halved to make a 9×13 pan.
- Read this article to find out the easiest way to peel peaches.
- The easiest way to puree a peach is to peel the peach and then place the peach after you remove the pit, in the blender and blend until smooth.