These pumpkin cupcakes are incredibly moist and filled with a silky smooth chocolate ganache and topped with a decadent chocolate buttercream
I love me some pumpkin flavored desserts in the fall. I love the flavor of pumpkin and love how it makes you feel all warm and cozy inside. But I have something to tell you: pumpkin spiced latte flavored desserts, are not worth the hype. That’s why you can make these pumpkin chocolate cupcakes instead. (Because CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE. Yes you heard me! Is one of the best ingredients on planet earth.)
These Cupcakes are so Freakin’ Moist:
Pumpkin puree is one of the secrets to these ultra moist cupcakes. The added moisture makes these cupcakes so much better than the average cupcake. Also I added some yogurt which creates double the moisture so that you have an incredibly moist cupcake. (sour cream will have exactly the same effect)
Every Cupcake Needs Ganache:
One thing I love to fill every cupcake possible with is ganache. A lovely filling made with only two ingredients. (these two ingredients just happen to be milk and chocolate.
Ganache not only adds flavor and richness to a cupcake but it also adds depth and texture that wouldn’t be there otherwise. Although it is a simple thing to make, ganache has to be made in a way that doesn’t heat up the chocolate too fast. Whether you make it on the stove or microwave, make sure to heat it in ten second increments removing it from the heat source and giving it a good stir before putting it back on. While it isn’t hard to remember to stir it every few seconds, it is important so that the ganache has the correct texture.
Pumpkin Chocolate Cupcakes
- ½ cup Melted Butter (113g)
- 1 cup Sugar (207g)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¼ cup Plain Yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1¼ cup All Purpose Flour (162g)
- 2½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- ¼ cup Milk
- ½ cup Butter (112g; room temperature)
- ⅔ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2-4 tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
- Line a muffin tin with twelve cupcake liners. Preheat the oven to 325˚ Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the melted butter and sugar. Mix until completely combined. Add the egg, vanilla, pumpkin puree, and yogurt. Mix well.
- In a seperate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Each muffin liner should be about ⅔ full. Bake the cupcakes for 19-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- In a small bowl or saucepan combine the chocolate and the milk. Heat over the stove or in the microwave for ten second intervals, stirring in between each one. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl or in an upright mixer combine the butter and the cocoa powder. Mixing until dark and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix until completely combined. Add cream if necessary. Beat for another 2-3 minutes or until the frosting is light and airy.
- Cut a hole in the center of each cupcake and fill with the ganache. Pipe the chocolate buttercream over the top. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired.
- The cupcakes will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.