Brown butter pumpkin cupcakes made with a decadent cream cheese frosting, moist, with a nutty aromatic fall flavor these cupcakes bring out the autumn in all of us.
Now that spooky season is over, it is time to pull out the pumpkin. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin spice, pumpkin butter, and these brown butter pumpkin cupcakes. I know that we have already had two pumpkin recipes this fall including these pumpkin harvest muffins and these chocolate pumpkin cupcakes, but there still might be one or two more pumpkin recipes in the works.
I really love the flavors that are associated with fall, cinnamon, squash, sweet potato, apples, and pumpkin are some of my favorite flavors if you don’t include chocolate.
Even though fall is pretty much over in Minnesota, (November is basically winter in my opinion.) It is nice that we still get to enjoy pretend it’s fall for the next month before winter officially sets in.
When I started making these cupcakes, I knew I wanted the nutty flavor of brown butter. Browned butter adds a rich flavor that elevates just about any dessert. It’s super easy to make and so worth it.
These cupcakes are super moist, the addition of pumpkin ensures it. Whenever you make a recipe with pureed pumpkin, it should always be moist. Always. If not, something is wrong.
How to Make Brown Butter
Some people are really intimidated by making brown butter but it is actually very easy to make. All you need to do is place some butter in a saucepan, and heat it over medium heat while stirring consistently until it is an amber color. That’s it!
One thing that you should keep in mind when you are making brown butter is that you need to stir, stir, stir once it starts bubbling. If you don’t stir the butter constantly the milk solids will stick to the bottom of the saucepan and cause the brown butter to burn.
Brown Butter Pumpkin Cupcakes
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Plain Yogurt
- 1¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 8oz Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- Line a muffin tin with twelve liners and preheat the oven to 325°.
- Place the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat stirring constantly until the butter is an amber color. Remove the butter from the heat. You now have browned butter.
- Place the browned butter in a mixing bowl and add the pumpkin puree, the egg, the vanilla, and the brown sugar.
- Add the baking powder and flour to the wet ingredients. Stir until completely combined. Add the milk and stir until the batter is smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake the cupcakes at 325° for 20-22 minutes or a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool.
- In a mixer combine the cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla bean paste and the powdered sugar, mix until the frosting is completely smooth.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cupcakes and garnish with pecans if desired.