These brown butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are full of the flavors of vanilla, are irresistably chewy. (the perfect quality for just about every cookie) and filled with dark chocolate chips.
These cookies have been a little harder to develop than other recipes, while most recipes only take two or three tries to get right, these babies have taken at least 4. (and even then I totally added too much vanilla to these cookies LOL) But they were definitely worth the wait.
Brown Butter Baby
Brown butter is one of my absolute fav ways to add richness and depth to just about any dessert. The addition of brown butter to these cookies blows them out of the water. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED. Brown butter is one of the easiest things to make ever. Brown butter is slightly demanding though, because it requires your undivided attention- it has to be stirred constantly otherwise it has a tendency to burn.
Here is how to make brown butter in only a few steps:
Place the butter in a saucepan, then turn the stove onto medium heat. Stir the butter constantly so that the milk solids do not stick to the bottom of the pan. Amber coloring and a nutty aroma mean it is done. Pour the brown butter into a bowl and allow it to thicken and cool. That’s it!
If you do not want your browned butter to sit on the counter to cool and thicken for about 2 hours, you can use the short cut I use just about every time. I almost always place my bowl of hot brown butter inside a bowl of ice. It cools it down to room temperature and a spreadable consistency in about three minutes. Just make sure to stir the brown butter while it cools otherwise you will have super hard chunks of butter and some liquid parts instead of a cohesive spreadable substance.
Brown Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Butter
- 1½ cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- 1¾ cups All Purpose Flour (225g)
- 3 cups Rolled Oats
- 1½ cups Dark Chocolate Chips
- Place the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the butter is a light amber brown and has a nutty aroma. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and set aside for 2 hours or until it is room temperature and a spreadable consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit and spray two baking sheets.
- Cream together the brown butter, brown sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until completely combined.
- Add the flour, oats, and baking soda to the wet ingredients, stir until just combined. Add the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookies onto the prepared pans and bake for 8-11 minutes.
- Enjoy! The cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.