This chocolate chip ice cream is smooth and creamy. Dotted with chocolate chunks and flavored with vanilla bean, this ice cream is the perfect summer dessert.
I have been really loving this summer. Not being able to go places for a few months and having to meet up with friends over zoom has made me really love finally gathering face to face with other people. It is also my first summer that I can drive places. I love the independence to meet up with my friends without having to worry about finding a ride!
My friend and I are going strawberry picking tomorrow and I am super excited to bake a few things together. Besides picking strawberries, one of the other things that makes it feel like summer to me is homemade ice cream. If you are looking for a dairy free ice cream alternative try my raspberry sorbet.
Making the Perfect Ice Cream 101:
This ice cream has 5 ingredients! It is easy and requires very little hands on work. There are very few things that you can screw up, making this recipe almost foolproof. Here are a few tips that help this ice cream turn out just right:
Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved. If the sugar is not completely dissolved your ice cream will be granular and less creamy. I recommend whisking or beating the sugar and milk together for at least 2 minutes.
Chop the Chocolate Finely. The chocolate chunks will be enjoyed the most if they are the right size. Personally I choose to melt my chocolate chips, temper them and then cut them into the size and shape that I want. When chocolate freezes it gets really hard so if the pieces are too big then its like rocks in your mouth. If they are too small they kind of dissolve into the ice cream.
When you make this chocolate chip ice cream don’t forget to tag me on Instagram, I love seeing what you are making! If you are on Pinterest you can save this recipe so that you can find it again later.
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 3 cups Milk
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Chocolate Chunks
- Pinch of Salt (optional)
- Combine the milk and the sugar together. Whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved. (2-4 minutes)
- Add the cream, vanilla, and salt and stir until combined. Refrigerate the mixture until you are ready to churn your ice cream.
- Churn the ice cream according to your machines manufacturers instructions. Add the chocolate chunks a few minutes before you are done churning the ice cream.
- Allow the ice cream to freeze for at least 2 hours or until it is firm.
- The ice cream will keep in the freezer for up to 1 week.