These blueberry macaron ice cream sandwiches are easy and delicious, not to mention they are gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. These perfectly sweet ice cream sandwiches are made with vanilla bean macarons and a homemade blueberry sorbet perfect for summer.
The other day I really wanted to make a dessert that was allergy friendly but still appealed to all of the members of my family. These macaron ice cream sandwiches were the perfect fit.
Macarons are not as scary as people say they are. In reality they are very easy to make and have only 6 ingredients. I have found that Cloudy Kitchen has the best macaron recipe around but if you want to use your families favorite macaron recipe, that’s cool too. If you use the macaron recipe linked above, you will have a few extra macaron shells but a few might break while you assemble the ice cream sandwiches.
When you make macarons the most important thing that you pay attention to is the consistency of all of the elements. You have to make sure that the meringue is in stiff peaks and that you fold everything together until it reaches the correct texture. You should be able to make a figure-eight with the macaron batter when it reaches the correct texture.
This blueberry sorbet is super easy to make and only has a 4 ingredients. Blueberries, simple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla are all you need to make this perfectly balanced sorbet.
To make the sorbet base, just place all of the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate the mixture until it is almost to the freezing point and then make it in your ice cream machine. I personally use a Musso Lussino and it is worth the price tag if you are in the habit of making ice cream and sorbets on a regular basis.
When you make these blueberry macaron ice cream sandwiches don’t forget to tag me on Instagram. I love seeing what you are making. You can also save this recipe on Pinterest so that you can find it again later. 🙂
Blueberry Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 batch Cloudy Kitchen Macarons (linked below)
- 2 cups Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups Simple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Combine the blueberries, simple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla, in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate or freeze the mixture until it is very close to freezing point. (32 degrees)
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream machine and make according to your machines instructions.
- While the sorbet is churning, line a 10 inch springform pan with plastic wrap. When the sorbet is done churning, spread it into the prepared pan and freeze it until it is solid. (2-4 hours)
- Cut circles of the sorbet out of the pan using a cookie cutter the same size as your macarons. Sandwich the sorbet circle in between two macarons. Enjoy immediately or keep in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- grab the recipe for macaron shells here.
- simple syrup is made by boiling one part water with one part sugar.