These dairy free chocolate cupcakes are a great way to celebrate!
With Valentine’s day coming up, I was really craving some chocolate cake. The only problem is, I have a dairy intolerance. I decided to make these cupcakes to fulfill that craving and make a chocolate cake recipe that actually tasted good. In my opinion, most allergy-friendly cakes are either dry or gummy. There was no such thing as a perfectly moist dairy free cupcake- until these.
When I made these cupcakes I must not have been thinking too much. I made 12 cupcakes. I’m the only one with food sensitivities in my family. It is officially going to take me months to finish them. Thank goodness for freezers. BTW, these cupcakes freeze really well- even if they are already frosted, just pull them out an hour or two before you want to eat them.
For these cupcakes I used an ancient grain flour from Sunrise Mills. I have a gluten intolerance and my body is able to handle it really well.
Vegan Chocolate Buttercream
I very rarely use a vegan butter to make any dairy free dessert but I made an exception for these cupcakes. Although you can use coconut oil instead, I fully recommend using a plant based butter if you want to serve these cupcakes at room temperature. Coconut oil is a full blown liquid at 72 degrees and begins softening at around 65 degrees which can make your frosting melt very easily. Thankfully, plant based butter is more temperature resistant which is why I recommend using it for this recipe.
Not feeling Chocolate Cake? Here are some more dairy free desserts for you!
- Peanut Butter Bars (vegan/gluten free)
- Chocolate Snowball Cookies (vegan/gluten free)
- Cranberry Muffins (gluten free/dairy free)
When you make these dairy free chocolate cupcakes, make sure to tag me on Instagram! I love seeing what you are baking!
You can also save this recipe on Pinterest so that you will be able to find it again later 🙂
Dairy Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup Sugar 200g
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder 50g
- 1 cup Sunrise Mills Flour (130g)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Almond Milk
- ½ cup Water (boiling hot)
- ½ cup Vegan Butter
- 3-4 cups Powdered Sugar
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2-4 tbsp Plant Based Milk
- Preheat your oven to 325° and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners.
- Beat the sugar and the coconut oil together. Add the egg and the vanilla extract, mixing until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Sift the mixture until no clumps remain.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture in two additions, alternating with the almond milk. Stir the mixture until a batter forms.
- Add the boiling water to the batter. Mix until the batter is smooth and silky.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Combine the vegan butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla in a medium sized bowl. Mix until fluffy (4-5 minutes), adding plant based milk as needed.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and enjoy! The cupcakes will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.