These gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, healthy double chocolate muffins are perfectly moist and decadent. Made with healthy, wholistic ingredients, these muffins satisfy your sweet tooth.
Healthy Chocolate Muffins
The other day I really wanted to make some muffins. I had a few zucchinis that I needed to use and I had some applesauce that I needed to use up too. I was also craving something chocolate. That’s when these muffins were born.
Muffins have always been one of my favorite breakfast foods. They always hit the spot- especially if they are perfectly moist and not too sweet- just like these ones.
One of my favorite things about these muffins is that they are made with holistic ingredients. Just oats, olive oil, an egg, applesauce, zucchini, honey, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, vanilla, unsweetened almond milk, and some vegan chocolate chips. I used these vegan, sugar free chocolate chips. (not an affiliate link, I just like them 🙂
How To Make Oat Flour
This recipe uses oat flour instead of a regular flour. The good news is that there is no need to go out and buy some because it is super easy to make and all you need is one ingredient- oats. It doesn’t matter if you have steel cut, quick, or rolled oats- those are just different shapes that the original oat is cut into that can result in different textures for oatmeal. Since we are going to blend the oats into a powder, it doesn’t matter what shape the oats start out as.
All you need to do to make oat flour is throw some oats into a blender or food processor and blend them up until a fine powder forms. It should take 2-4 minutes. Don’t worry, it won’t be quite as fine as a regular flour but thats ok! My pumpkin muffins and cranberry muffins both use oat flour too!
When you make these healthy double chocolate muffins make sure to tag me on Instagram! I absolutely love seeing what you are baking! You can also save this recipe to Pinterest so that you can find it again later.
Healthy Chocolate Muffins
- 1½ cups Oat Flour
- ⅓ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ⅓ cup Honey
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 cup Shredded Zucchini
- ½ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ¾ cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Preheat your oven to 350˚ and line a muffin tin with liners.
- Whisk the oat flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda together in a small bowl.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the olive oil, honey, vanilla, almond milk, and applesauce. Add the oat flour mixture to the liquid ingredients.
- Mix in the zucchini and ½ cup of the chocolate chips. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the muffins.
- Bake the muffins for 20-23 minutes or a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean and the muffins will spring back upon a light tap to the top.
- The muffins will keep at room temperature for 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.